66614033.jpg

Attendance at the Aitken School ranged from 4 to 22 students depending on the time of year as older boys had to be at home to help with the farming. The school, which was closed in 1954 then maintained by the Aitken family before being moved to Utica, will be open for a back to school celebration 1-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday during Utica Pork Fest.

The Aitken One Room Schoolhouse will be open for tours on the grounds of the La Salle County Historical Society this weekend during Pork Fest in Utica.

Before being moved with help from Unimim Corp., the schoolhouse originally was located south of Troy Grove. It was established on August 3, 1865 by a deed notarized by Horace Hickok (brother of “Wild Bill Hickok.”

Cricket game: The historical society also will sponsor and old-fashioned cricket demonstration 1-4 p.m. Sunday at Danny Carey Park during Utica Pork Fest.

The museums will be open for tours Saturday and Sunday, and the historical society will host a back to school celebration noon-4 p.m. on both days.

0
0
0
0
0

newstrib.com
A real time look at local businesses social media postings.

Recommended for you

Load comments